Friday, November 11, 2005

yoke's on you (part 2)

now let me start this post stating that i am not a scholar, or a theologian. i am just a learner, like the rest of you. i am reading a book right now that speaks on the subject of this post. the writer found that the use of the term "yoke" in the time of Jesus dealt with the way that the rabbi had interpretted the torah (first 5 books of the bible).

each community's rabbi interpretted the torah in the way that he thought God had intended. so each community had different ways of doing things. wow! that sounds familiar.

read the following scripture with that in mind (note: yesterday's post dealt with the last three verses, but i added the three preceding ones to add a little more umph.):

Jesus' Prayer of Thanksgiving

25 Then Jesus prayed this prayer: "O Father, Lord of heaven and earth, thank you for hiding the truth from those who think themselves so wise and clever, and for revealing it to the childlike. 26 Yes, Father, it pleased you to do it this way!

27 "My Father has given me authority over everything. No one really knows the Son except the Father, and no one really knows the Father except the Son and those to whom the Son chooses to reveal him."

28 Then Jesus said, "Come to me, all of you who are weary and carry heavy burdens, and I will give you rest. 29 Take my yoke upon you. Let me teach you, because I am humble and gentle, and you will find rest for your souls. 30 For my yoke fits perfectly, and the burden I give you is light."

now what do you think of that! does that make you think of those verses in a different light?

it may be just me, but i thought this was so enlightening. it may be that my little mind gets excited about little things like this, but i think that is what Jesus was going for.

now i think that Jesus was lifting all of those rules and regulations that society was living under, and that He was giving them the way to do things better and easier. His interpretation was God's interpretation ... firsthand.

it makes me think back to the question asked of Him about what were the greatest commandments. its all about love. love God with our whole self and love everybody else the same way we love ourselves.

sounds simple, but do you have the same trouble i do in fulfilling the second part?

2 comments:

Bar L. said...

Wow, I am missing out by not reading here every day....I will not make that mistake again. good, good stuff here.

What's the book???

k2 said...

ww,

the book that i am reading is 'velvet elvis' by rob bell. so far it has been a great read!