Friday, October 07, 2005

i've got to vent

this may not be appropriate, but i can't shake this.

i was asked to teach the teens at my church. our youth minister was going out of town to attend the zoe worship conference in nashville (i wish i had to cash for this, by the way, or i would be there, too). i love to teach, so i said sure.

i prepared a great lesson. i showed the rob bell dvd bullhorn to them. they said they had never heard of a guy that stood on a street corner and preached, ya know, a bible thumper. i explained the concept to them. i asked the questions from the booklet that comes with the dvd, and they just looked at me like i was talking in another language.

to get answers was like, you've heard the cliche, pulling teeth.

then after the lesson and questions, i asked a by the way question, "do people tell you that port city is wrong in what they are doing?" their answer is a resounding, "yes." i ask them to expound on that and they say, "what do you mean?" ARRRGGGGHHHH!!!!

so we're done, and ask them to pu the chairs away and we will play a game (we have class in our gym). they put the chairs away while i put away the projector and my laptop. i turn around and there are like 5 or 7 of the 30 something kids left to play a game. they have fallen in love with dodge ball, and i thought that was why we have so many visitors. they come to have fun at church. nothing wrong with that.

i just can't shake the way i feel. i vented with the youth minister, cl, but i still can't shake it.

will you pray for me to have the Holy Spirit to comfort me, and have God soften my heart toward the teens? thanks.

1 comment:

Tommy said...

The teens are tough. I had them on Sunday morns a few quarters ago. I felt like I was in class alone. Sometimes I could get them talking so well, other times just yes/no answers. I couldn't figure it out then, and I doubt I could now. I'm convinced that some people can connect with different age groups better than others. I feel for you.