Thursday, August 11, 2005

harris's mantras

today (in this God-soaked moment of life)...

1. i will be incompetent

2. i will be fully present to the person in front of me and to the Lord over me

3. i will be Christ to others

4. i will see Christ in others


in #1 i want to feel that i am not smart enough to do things on my own. i want to be in need of God, and His power, not my own. i don't ever want to get to the point where i am the best at anything, because i have seen what being the best at something can do to you.

for i can do everything with the help of Christ who gives me the strength i need. phil 4:13.

as far as #2 goes ... well, have you ever been talking to someone and they give you that stare that let's you know that they may be physically there, but they are in some other time zone mentally? well i want and try to be present with whomever i am in conversation with. it really hurts to have someone zone out on you in conversation.

this how i see #3. how are we to be Christ? ...

Live a life filled with love for others, following the example of Christ, who loved you and gave himself as a sacrifice to take away your sins. And God was pleased, because that sacrifice was like sweet perfume to him. eph 5:2

i think that just about covers it.

and finally there is #4. our lives are so busy. we need our time. when we do that, this is what could be our story

"But when the Son of Man comes in his glory, and all the angels with him, then he will sit upon his glorious throne. All the nations will be gathered in his presence, and he will separate them as a shepherd separates the sheep from the goats. He will place the sheep at his right hand and the goats at his left. Then the King will say to those on the right, 'Come, you who are blessed by my Father, inherit the Kingdom prepared for you from the foundation of the world. For I was hungry, and you fed me. I was thirsty, and you gave me a drink. I was a stranger, and you invited me into your home. I was naked, and you gave me clothing. I was sick, and you cared for me. I was in prison, and you visited me.'

"Then these righteous ones will reply, 'Lord, when did we ever see you hungry and feed you? Or thirsty and give you something to drink? Or a stranger and show you hospitality? Or naked and give you clothing? When did we ever see you sick or in prison, and visit you?' And the King will tell them, 'I assure you, when you did it to one of the least of these my brothers and sisters, you were doing it to me!' matt 25:31-40

don't forget that we are to love others as ourselves.

1 comment:

k2 said...

just to ward of confusion, i did not come up with this mantra stuff. randy harris is the one who i got it from about 4 years ago when he came and visited our church in texas.